Alaska is a land of superlatives and adventure. The Great Land consists of five distinct regions: Inside Passage, Southcentral, Interior, Arctic, and Southwest. Click through for information on what makes each region unique, regional weather, sub-regions, and Alaska maps.
The Arctic is one of Alaska’s most remote and diverse regions, filled with cultural opportunities, unique wildlife, and a landscape ranging from the Arctic coastline to broad stretches of tundra.
Shaped by the staggering force of massive glaciers millions of years ago, Alaska’s Inside Passage stretches 500 miles along the Pacific Ocean and boasts wildlife-filled fjords, tidewater glaciers, and lush island scenery.
In Alaska’s heartland, you’ll see the continent’s tallest peak, Denali, and wide expanses of tundra. The forests are teeming with wildlife ranging from the formidable grizzly bear to large herds of caribou to the state bird - the willow ptarmigan.
Traditional lands of the Athabascan people, Southcentral Alaska is home to more than half the state's total population and Anchorage, the state's largest city.
For those with a sense of adventure and a naturalist streak, few places on earth compare with the wonders of Southwest Alaska. Brown bears gather in large numbers to feed on salmon and more than 240 bird species inhabit the area’s wetlands and coastline.
Plan Your Trip
- (-) Photography Tours (3)
- Adventure & Ecotour Experience Packages (17)
- Adventure & Ecotour Experiences (22)
- ATV & 4-Wheeling (3)
- Bear Viewing (11)
- Bed & Breakfasts (5)
- Biking (2)
- Birding (2)
- Breweries & Distilleries (3)
- Cabins & Vacation Rentals (9)
- Campgrounds & RV Parks (5)
- Cruise (5)
- Cruise Packages (9)
- Culinary Tours (4)
- Cultural Centers, Tour & Demonstrations (3)
- Day Fishing Trips (8)
- Dog Sledding (5)
- Drive (5)
- Ferry (1)
- Fishing Lodges & Packages (13)
- Flightseeing & Helicopter Tours (10)
- Fly (1)
- Glacier & Wildlife Cruises (8)
- Glacier Hiking & Climbing (4)
- Guided Hiking & Camping (3)
- Hostels (1)
- Hotels & Motels (29)
- Kayaking, Rafting, Water Sports (9)
- Land Packages (13)
- Meeting & Event Planners (3)
- Motorcoach (1)
- Museums (5)
- Northern Lights Overnight Packages (2)
- Northern Lights Tours (5)
- Railroad Day Trips (3)
- River Cruises (1)
- Shopping (2)
- Sightseeing Tours (5)
- Small Ship & Private Cruises (7)
- Snowmobiling Tours (2)
- Train (5)
- Travel Agents (6)
- Visitor Centers & Vacation Planners (11)
- Whale Watching (2)
- Wilderness Lodges & Resorts (11)
- Wildlife Excursions (7)
- Wildlife Packages (7)
- Winter Outdoor Recreation (2)
- Winter Packages (1)
- Winter Sightseeing (1)
- Zipline (1)
- Zoos, Aquariums & Conservation Centers (1)
Wrangell is a charming small Alaskan town perfectly situated in the heart of the Tongass National Forest. Our island is the perfect jumping off...
Take home awe-inspiring photographs of Alaska! Learn to capture the majesty of Alaska with a maximum of 4 participants per tour. Your photography...
ATTENTION PHOTOGRAPHERS: This is the tour for you. Seriously. Small group photo tours guided by pro photographers, former park rangers. All...
Alaska: AKA Your Next Adventure
Where will your Alaska adventure take you? Order our Official State of Alaska Vacation Planner and plot your course.